Community Outreach Income Tax Service
Volunteer Nanaimo is offering free outreach tax preparation services through the Canada Revenue Agency Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) to help low/no income individuals access the benefits and credits they may be entitled to. Our trained volunteers have completed enhanced security screening that allows them to file income tax returns even if an individual is missing tax slips, or has multiple years of unfiled returns. To access this service, the individual must have a simple tax situation (no self employed income), have ID, and know their Social Insurance Number.
This service is provided by appointment, on-site or virtually, for those that experience barriers to access our free tax clinic provided at 3148 Barons Road, Nanaimo, BC.
Starting March 15, 2024:
To request a free Outreach Tax appointment:
- Ensure that all individuals have ID and know their SIN
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org, and indicate,
- Why the individual(s) is(are) unable to attend a tax clinic in person.
- Examples could include: experiencing homelessness, mobility challenges due to health issues (including mental health), or unresolvable child care obligations.
- The preferred time for an appointment. Our volunteers are available afternoons and evenings on weekdays, or virtually.
There is no standard time to prepare a tax return for those in vulnerable situations.
Note: this service is offered only to those unable to access one of the many free tax clinics in Nanaimo.